Product Review – DxO ONE
The pocket camera that turns your iPhone into a powerful DSLR
DxO is a company that says it advances the way people take photographs and their background is in creating software for correcting optical and digital imperfections in images.
Now they’ve launched the ONE, a standalone pocket camera that can also be attached to an iPhone or iPad to offer a large interactive viewfinder and other powerful DSLR features.
And once the camera is connected to an iPhone or iPad, DxO’s app opens to allow you to take control. You can use the fully automatic setting and a small collection of scene modes or go for the program, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual exposure modes.
World class image processing
Image formats include raw (DNG) and JPEG files, with raw files being saved to the microSD card in the camera and JPEGs to either the card or the iPhone, depending on what you prefer.
As well as stills, the ONE can be used to shoot 1080p video at 30fps or 720 at 120fps (for slow motion playback) in MOV (H.264) format. However, DxO is keen to point out that the ONE is aimed at serious photographers rather than action cam users.
Specs vs Price
The only negative in the whole “picture” would be the slightly higher than expected price tag of £499 RRP and the fact that you need to take care not to cover the lens.
Below are the full specs of the ONE:
- Still Resolution (5406X3604)
- 1080p/30fps Video Resolution 720p/120fps
- 1” format
- Sensor Size: 13.2×8.8mm
- Sensor Type: CMOS – BSI
- Focal Length: 11.9mm (equivalent to 32mm in full frame)
- Lens cover: Integrated, sliding (on/off)
- Aperture: f/1.8 adjustable down to f/11 (6 blade iris)
- Shutter button: 2-stage
- OLED Settings display, touch control
- ISO Range: From ISO 100 to ISO 51200 (Hi 2)
- Shutter Speed: From 1/8000 to 15s
- Image Stabilization: Electronic (for video)
- Camera modes: Auto, Sports, Portrait, Landscape, Night, Program, Aperture Priority, Speed Priority, Manual, Selfie
- Video modes: 1080p (30 fps), 720p (120fps)
- File formats: .JPG, .DNG, .DxO (SuperRAW™), .MOV (H.264)
- Focus range: 20cm – infinity
- Autofocus: Contrast detect, using face-detection
- Focus modes: Single-shot, continuous, tap-to-focus
- Metering modes: Spot, centre weighted, multi-zone
- Zoom: Digital 3x
- Micro USB port
- USB 2 (power charging, mass storage connection)
- Lightning connector: Retractable/collapsible, +/- 60º rotation
- Screen size: Varies, function of connected iDevice between 4” and 9.7”
- Screen resolution: Varies, function of connected iDevice between 727,040 and 3,145,728 dots
- Storage type: microSD UHS-I U3 (not included)
- Orientation: Gyroscope + accelerometer
- Battery type: Integrated lithium ion
- Battery life: ~200 photos
- Weight: 3.8oz (108g)
- Dimensions: 67.5 x 48.85 x 26.25 mm
- Compatible with: iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad (4th gen), iOS 8 or later